What is The Castrol LMA Managers' Performance table?
Some of the key points are:
- Record of a manager's performance, not a club's
- All league and cup matches, including national and
European championships, all in
- Rewards managers for good defence, clean sheets and consistent
- Celebrates management excellence with a regularly published Top Twenty
What is the concept?
To create a "Premier League" of management performance that promotes excellence in management.
Why is it unique?
- Managers not clubs - so when a manager moves he takes his performance record with him.
- All matches: cup and league, national and European
- A wide range of criteria - not just wins, draws and goals - that recognises the breadth and depth of management achievements
- The most reliable and objective guide to how well a manager is performing over time - not just recent results
- Produced weekly, publicised quarterly, completed seasonally
- Celebrates management excellence by publishing the Top Twenty managers
How Will It Work?
The points system is fair and rewards management for across-the-board performance, and for consistency and good defence as well as goals and results. - More points for away wins and draws than home wins and draws recognising these are greater managerial achievements
- Points for goals, but also goal difference in each match - so a 3-1 win gains
more points than a 3-2 win
- Points for clean sheets recognising that defence is an important aspect of good management
Why Is It Good For Managers?
- Celebrates management success by focusing on management success
- Helps Boards to appreciate that there is more to management than recent results
- Gives managers' more time to succeed by giving an objective analysis of performance
- Generates positive news stories nationally/regionally/locally
- Provides awards for managers beyond winning leagues and cups
Why Is It Good For The LMA?
- Helps the LMA achieve some of its core objectives in promoting management excellence
- Gives a series of positive stories on management success
- Allows the LMA and managers to seriously discuss the issues surrounding management
Why Is It Good For The Media?
- Compares manager performance across the leagues - is Ferguson the best manager in all 4 leagues, or just the Barclays Premier League?
- Provides ready-to-use data across all leagues and European competitions
- Facilitates in-depth analysis of management and thus a team's performance
- Stimulates angles for stories and interviews
- Creates regional and local stories - eg. best manager in London; best defence in Yorkshire etc)
- High levels of awareness generated by regular television coverage
- It's free and updated weekly -the official league table is exclusively published on www.leaguemanagers.com every Tuesday afternoon at 16:00