Paul Groves

Paul Groves was most recently Academy Manager of Bristol City after previously being the first team coach of Crawley Town on June 27, 2014.

Born in 1966, Paul started his career as a professional at Burton Albion. He played for the non-league outfit until he was spotted by Leicester City.

However, it was a move to Blackpool that really kick-started the midfielder's career, with an impressive record of appearances over two seasons at Bloomfield Road. He stayed at Blackpool from 1990 to 1992, making 135 appearances in all competitions.

Then came the first of his two spells at Grimsby, the club he would later manage, which lasted four seasons during which time he made 183 appearances scoring 38 times.

A season a West Brom punctuated his stay with the Mariners but he returned to Blundell Park in 1997 and was made team captain, making another 180 appearances, many of them in central defence, before the start of the 2001/2002 season and remaining a permanent fixture in the side.

Paul adapted so well to his defensive role, originally intended as a temporary solution to a shortage in that area, that it became his permanent berth and he experienced something that every player dreams of as he led The Mariners to victory at Wembley in both the Auto Windscreens Shield and Division Two Play-Off Finals in 1998.

With his playing days nearing an end, Groves began to look towards his future in the game and took on a player/coach role under Lennie Lawrence, eventually taking over as player/manager after Lawrence was dismissed.

Paul later enjoyed spells at Portsmouth and West Ham assisting Avram Grant, prior to his appointment at the Seward Stadium after taking temporary charge following Lee Bradbury's departure. He initially joined the club as youth team manager.

Whilst in caretaker charge, he oversaw the Cherries last eight games of the season, losing just twice in the process, and guided the club to an 11th place finish in 2011/12.

The Cherries then appointed Groves on a permanent basis where he remained in charge until October 2012 before he reverted back to a youth team role.

start date
Finish date